Auxiliary verbs exercise

Image result for images of tertiary students

Auxiliary verbs exercise

Complete the following sentences using an appropriate auxiliary verb.
1. The police officer warned the crowd that he ……………… order shooting, if they created trouble.
could
would
might
2. Passengers ……………… not smoke inside the bus.
will
should
must
3. ………………. I have a word with you?
will
may
can
Either ‘can’ or ‘may’
4. Parents ……………….. not accompany their children to the school.
must
can
would
5. There was a time when I ……………… stay up late, but these days I go to bed early.
used to
ought to
should
6. The Principal said that candidates without hall tickets ………………. not be permitted inside the examination hall.
could
would
should
7. You ………………….. tell me. I know everything.
must not
need not
cannot
8. Even if he had come a  little earlier , he ………………… have got a seat in the front row.
should not
might not
would not
9. ………………. I tell you what happened?
Shall
Will
Would
10. ‘How …………….. he leave the office earlier without my permission?’ asked the Manager.
should
would
could

Answers

1. The police officer warned the crowd that he would order shooting, if they created trouble.
2. Passengers must not smoke inside the bus.
3. Can / may I have a word with you?
4. Parents must not accompany their children to the school.
5. There was a time when I used to stay up late, but these days I go to bed early.
6. The Principal said that candidates without hall tickets would notbe permitted inside the examination hall.
7. You need not tell me. I know everything.
8. Even if he had come a little earlier, he would not have got a seat in the front row.
9. Shall I tell you what happened?
10. ‘How could he leave the office earlier without my permission?’ asked the Manager.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger