Prepositional phrases


Prepositional phrases

prepositional phrase is made up of a preposition and a noun phrase. Examples are: in the corner, on the roof, under the bed and within seconds.
A prepositional phrase has several uses. For example, it can be used as an adverbial of time and place.
  • The work was completed in a few days.
  • She wrote the essay in twenty minutes.
  • I went to the market.
  • There is something under the bed.
  • The old man sat in a corner.
A prepositional phrase can be a post-modifier in a noun clause.
  • Her son is that boy in the red shirt.
  • We are looking for a house with a large garden.
  • She has bought a new laptop with a 17 inch display.
The prepositional phrase can be used to say who did something.
  • The farmer was bit by the snake.
  • The spider was killed by the boy.
  • She owns a wonderful painting by Picasso.
Prepositional phrases are used with verbs that take two objects. Examples are: give and get.
  • He gave some money to the beggar on the corner.
  • I have ordered a dress for my sister.
  • He distributed chocolates among the children.
Prepositional phrases are also used after certain verbs, nouns and adjectives.
  • The house that we live in belongs to my grandfather.
  • I had a word with my boss.
  • I felt sorry for her.
  • I had an argument with my friend.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger