Modal Auxiliary Verbs: Exercise

Modal Auxiliary Verbs: Exercise

Fill in the blanks with appropriate modal auxiliary verbs. Each question is followed by four suggested answers. Choose the most appropriate one.
1. He is afraid to speak, lest he ………………………. be laughed at.
a) would
b) should
c) can
d) could
2. He said he ………………………….  not come.
a) would
b) should
c) can
d) ought
3. Had I seen you, I ………………………. have come.
a) would
b) should
c) ought
d) can
4. He ……………………… swim across the river when he was young.
a) could
b) can
c) might
d) should
5. He told me that he ………………………. not help me.
a) could
b) can
c) ought
d) shall
6. ……………….. you live long!
a) may
b) might
c) shall
d) should
7. If I had studied medicine I ………………………. have become a doctor.
a) will
b) would
c) can
d) may
8. I ………………….. have arrived in time, if I had not lost my way.
a) could
b) can
c) may
d) shall
9. I …………………… very much like to see my old classmates.
a) will
b) would
c) should
d) might
10. We ………………………. not hurry, we have  got plenty of time.
a) should
b) need
c) must
d) would
Answers
1. b) should
2. a) would
3. a) would
4. a) could
5. a) could
6. a) may
7. b) would
8. a) could
9. b) would
10. b) need
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger