Using would

Using would

Would is a modal auxiliary verb. It is used as the past tense of ‘will’ in indirect speech.
  • Direct: He said to me, ‘I will do my job conscientiously.
  • Indirect speech: He told me that he would do his job conscientiously.
  • Direct speech: She said, ‘I will come.’
  • Indirect speech: She said that she would come.
The expression ‘would rather’ is used to show preference for one of two options.
  • They would rather die than submit.
  • He would rather starve than beg.
Would can also be used to express past habits.
  • She would not listen to anybody.
  • He would spend hours talking to himself.
Would can make a request more polite.
  • Would you allow me to use your computer?
Would you mind if I opened the window?
Would is often used to make invitations more polite.
  • Would you have dinner with us tonight?
  • Would you attend the inauguration ceremony of our new showroom?
Would can express willingness or intention
  • I would go there if you want me to do that.
Would can express determination.
  • I would stand by you through thick and thin.
Would is used in conditional clauses to talk about imaginary or unreal situations.
  • If he worked hard, he would pass.
  • If he had not misbehaved in the class, the teacher would not have punished him.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger