SOME RULES:

Image result for hd images of group discussion
(1) Pronouns have the same number, gender and person as that of their antecedent:
Shola is a good girl. She respects her elders.
(2) “It” is used for lifeless things, for animals, and for a baby:
He likes his cat and takes good care of it.
(3) When two singular pronouns are joined by ‘and’ and refer to the same thing, the pronoun will be singular:
The peon and attendant is absent from his duty.
(4) Sometimes a pronoun refers to more than one noun or pronoun of different persons, in this case, the order will be as follows:
You, he and I or He and I
The first person will come in the end. But in admitting a fault, we use the first person first, then, the third, and the second person last of all.
I, he and you are at fault.
(5) The complement of the verb ‘to be’ should be in the Nominative case:
It is I.
If I were he, I would not do it.
(6) In the sentence beginning with ‘let’, a pronoun in the objective case is used:
Let us go there.
Let me help you.
(7) The pronouns following ‘than’ or ‘as’ can be in the Objective as well as the Nominative case, depending upon the meaning of the sentence:
I love you more than he.
(This means more than he-a third person- loves you.)
I love you more than him.
(This means more than I love the other person.)
(8) ‘Who’ is used for persons while ‘which’ is used for animals and lifeless objects; that can be used for both:
I am looking for the boy who has taken my book.
This is the dress which I like the most.
(9) The pronoun ‘one’ must be followed by ‘one’s’:
Wrong: One must keep his word.
Right: One must keep one’s word.
(1O) A relative pronoun should be placed near its antecedent:
Wrong: I have read Shakespeare’s plays who was a great dramatist.

Right: I have read the plays of Shakespeare who was a great dramatist.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger