CONTINUATION OF COMMON ERRORS IN THE USE OF ADJECTIVES

(11) Little, a little and the little: Little denotes quantity and means ‘not much’ (hardly any). It has a negative meaning.
A little means ‘at least some’.
The little means the whole amount that is there.
There is little hope of his recovery.
(This means there is no hope)
There is a little hope of his recovery.
(This means there is some hope)
He has spent the little money he had.
(This means all that he had)
(12) Similarly, few, a few and the few: Few denotes number:
I have few books on this subject.
(This means hardly any-no)
I have a few books on this subject.
(This means at least some)
I gave him the few books I had on this subject.
(13) Much, many: Much refers to quantity and many refers to number.
(14) Last, latest: Last refers to the final one; latest is last up to the present.
What is the latest score?
The last train to Nguru leaves at 6.00 PM.
(15) Older, elder: Older is used for both persons and things. It refers to age;
Elder is used for persons only. It conveys the idea of seniority or of the first born in a family.
(16) Later, latter: Later refers to time; latter means the second of the two things.
(17) Each, every:
6.4.1 PRACTICE SET
INCORRECT
CORRECT
Tea is more preferable than coffee.
 Tea is preferable to coffee.
Give me little milk to drink.
Give me a little milk to drink.
This is the last edition of the book.
 This is the latest edition of the book.
I have read my each book.
I have read my every book.
The Cocoa-house is a worth-seeing building.
The Cocoa-house is a building worth seeing.
This is the most unique plan.
This is a unique plan.
He is more cleverer than his brother.
He is cleverer than his brother.
He is wiser than old.
He is more wise than old.
I prefer rice than wheat.
I prefer rice to wheat.
He refused to give me any rice.
He refused to give me some rice.


Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger