Reported speech 2


Image result for images of university classrooms

Reported speech 2
We also use reported speech when we are saying what other people asked or wanted to
know. We do not use do or question marks in indirect questions.
• "What time is it?" = He asked me what time it was.
• "Why hasn't he come? = She wondered why he hadn't come.
• "When will you be arriving?" = He wanted to know when we would be arriving.
• "What were you doing?" = They questioned him about what he had been doing.
We use the same structure when we report answers.
• "147 Oak Street." = I told him what my address was.
• "I didn't have time to do it." = She explained why she hadn't done it.
• "Look at this dress and bag." = She showed me what she had bought.
• "Put the paper here and press this button." = He demonstrated how the scanner
worked.
Yes/no questions are reported with if or whether.
• Do you want a ride? = Mike asked me if I wanted a ride.
• Are you coming? = They wanted to know if I was coming.
• Will you be here later? = She asked me whether I would be here later.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger