Easy Pace Learning Grammar (continues)



take over: assume control They will take over at the beginning of June.
talk over: discuss Let us talk it over before we decide.
tear up: destroy by tearing She tore up the letter.
think over: consider I need some time to think it over.
think up: invent What will they think up next?
track down: search for and find We finally tracked him down at the bookstore.
trade in: give as part payment
Why don't you trade in your old vacuum cleaner for
a new one?
try on: test clothes by putting them
on
I tried on the new suit, but it didn't fit me.
try out: test by using Would you like to try out my fountain pen?
turn away: refuse admission
The event was so popular that many people had to be
turned away.
turn back: reverse direction
Every fall the clocks must be turned back by one
hour.
turn off: deactivate by using a
switch
I turned off the radio.
turn on: activate by using a switch Please turn on the light.
water down: dilute The soup has been watered down.
wear out: gradually destroy by
wearing or using
My jacket is wearing out, although it is only a year
old.
write down: make a note I wrote down the instructions.
write off: cancel, regard as
They were forced to write off several irretrievable
debts.
write up: compose in writing I used my notes to write up the report.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger