Nouns mistakes

Nouns mistakes

Here are some common mistakes in the use of nouns.

Incorrect: We haven’t got any breads.
Correct: We haven’t got any loaves of bread.
Explanation
The noun ‘bread’ does not have a plural form. To express that idea we use the expression ‘loaves of bread’.
Incorrect: Please excuse the troubles.
Correct: Please excuse me for the trouble.
Incorrect: He took troubles to do his work.
Correct: He took trouble over his work.
Incorrect: I am learning a new poetry.
Correct: I am learning a new poem.
Explanation
The word poetry denotes a form of literature.
Incorrect: We had a good play of tennis.
Correct: We had a good game of tennis.
Incorrect: He is true to his words.
Correct: He is true to his word.
Incorrect: I saw three females in the room.
Correct: I saw three women in the room.
Incorrect: He enquired about your state of health.
Correct: He enquired about the state of your health.
Incorrect: I am leaving my service.
Correct: I am leaving my job.
Incorrect: I celebrated Christmas with my family members.
Correct: I celebrated Christmas with my family. / I celebrated Christmas with the members of my family.
Incorrect: The clock has struck six hours.
Correct: The clock has struck six.
Incorrect: The weather of Colombo does not suit me.
Correct: The climate of Colombo does not suit me.
Incorrect: These news are too good to be true.
Correct: This news is too good to be true.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger