Time prepositions

Time prepositions

Time prepositions
On
Use on with days.
  • I met him on Friday.
  • My birthday is on May 18th.
  • We are having a small party on Christmas day.
Use at with clock times and other expressions of time such as noon, night and midnight.
  • The train departs at 6.30.
  • We usually have dinner at 9 o’clock.
  • I will meet you at noon.
  • Phone me at lunch time.
Use in with other parts of the day and with months, years and seasons.
  • We usually go out in the evening.
  • I saw him in the morning.
  • I was born in May.
  • Trees shed their leaves in autumn.
  • Days are short and dark in winter.
  • I take a nap in the afternoon.
  • They got married in 1996.
  • This house was built in 1972.
Other prepositions indicating time
In English, we use several prepositions to show time. The most common among them are: since, for, by, during and within. The sequences from-to and from-until are also used to talk about time.
  • We have lived in this city since 2007. (We arrived in this city in 2007 and have lived here ever since.)
  • She has been gone since Tuesday. (She went on Tuesday and has not returned yet.)
  • I am going to Vienna for two weeks. (I will spend two weeks there.)
  • I work from nine to six.
  • I will be here from three o’clock onwards.
  • The program lasted from 3 to 6. (Beginning at 3 and ending at 6)
  • It rained during the night. (For a certain period of time in the night)
  • We must finish the work within a year. (= No longer than a year)

Please share this with others if you feel it's helpful.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger