Verbs: some common mistakes


Verbs: some common mistakes

Here is a list of errors students often make in the use of verbs.
  • Incorrect: My father told me that honesty was the best policy.
  • Correct: My father told me that honesty is the best policy.
We usually use a past tense in the subordinate clause when the verb in the main clause is in the past tense. However, a past tense is unnecessary when the subordinate clause gives information that is always true.
  • Incorrect: The cashier-cum-accountant are on leave today.
  • Correct: The cashier-cum-accountant is on leave today.
Expressions like the cashier-cum-accountant refer to one person and hence a singular verb is needed.
  • Incorrect: The cashier and the accountant is on leave today.
  • Correct: The cashier and the accountant are on leave today.
  • Incorrect: I am so weak that I may not walk.
  • Correct: I am so weak that I cannot walk.
To talk about ability we use can, not may.
  • Incorrect: Tell me why are you beating the child.
  • Correct: Tell me why you are beating the child.
  • Incorrect: I don’t know why is she late.
  • Correct: I don’t know why she is late.
The two sentences given above are examples of indirect questions. In indirect questions, there is no inversion of subject and verb.
  • Incorrect: The ship was drowned.
  • Correct: The ship sank.
People drown. Ships and boats sink.
  • Incorrect: Seldom I visit my parents.
  • Correct: Seldom do I visit my parents.
  • Incorrect: This food is hard to be digested.
  • Correct: This food is hard to digest.
  • Incorrect: I never have, and I never will do it.
  • Correct: I have never done and I will never do it.
Please share this with others if you feel it's helpful.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Don-Rhobett Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2015. Grammar - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Published by Don-Rhobett
Proudly powered by Blogger